[Ecls-list] [ANN] ECL 9.12.3

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Fri Dec 18 07:31:49 UTC 2009

Semih Cemiloglu wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I’m unable to build ECL 9.12.3 on OpenSolaris:
>

> $ export CC="cc -xc99=all"
>
> $ export CXX=CC

You are I assume using the Sun C++ compiler, not the GNU one. The following
might not be the cause of your problem, but it just might be.

It recently came to my attention that the Sun C++ compiler ships with two
libraries that implement the C++ standard library: libCstd and libstlport.

Basically the standard for C++ has changed in an incompatible way, so to
maintain backward compatibility, by default the Sun C++ compiler builds with a
libCstd, which does not support all the features of the standard library.

In order to get a library which conforms more closely to the C++ standard, one
should use the libstlport library. One needs to add the option -library=stlport4
for this. If you have multiple objects, they all must be compiled with this
option - you can't mix the two libraries. See:

http://developers.sun.com/solaris/articles/cmp_stlport_libCstd.html

PS

1) HP do likewise with their compiler on HP-UX.

2) I don't know if it's true, but according to Wikipedia, there is no compiler
which fully supports the C++ standard. Sun certainly do not claim to, but
libstlport is closer to the latest standard than libCstd.

Dave