[Ecls-list] ECL reads sysfun.lsp one byte at a time, was: Maxima stats huge numbers of files at startup?

Robert Dodier robert.dodier at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 22:22:29 UTC 2009

On 12/10/09, William Stein <wstein at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2. The user reports that "maxima reads the file
> local/lib/ecl-9.10.2/sysfun.lsp one character at a time doing 72K
> read() calls of one
> character each.  The sys admin doubts that is anywhere near the
> problem of the NFS stat calls, but it does seem inefficient."

OK, I've confirmed this w/ a recent version of ECL (9.12.2).
It didn't happen with an older version (I don't remember which version).
I am working on Linux with an ordinary file system (not NFS).

Other calls to read have block size = 512 or 1024 or 8096.
Dunno what's going on. Not really so much of a problem,
but it is a curiosity.

FWIW

Robert Dodier