[Ecls-list] Memory problems during IO

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Dec 2 15:16:59 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 4:59 AM, Waldek Hebisch <hebisch at math.uni.wroc.pl> wrote:
> The file has 122 MB, I compiled ECL without Unicode support, so
> the strings should take similare space in memory as in a file.
> So why there is so much consing?  For comparison sbcl needs
> 5.216 sec but conses only 13,360,144 bytes.  And for reading
> sbcl is much faster, 2.559 sec and 492,137,056 bytes consed
> (note that sbcl uses unicode strings, so the amount consed
> is essentially the same as space needed to store strings).

Things SBCL does that we did not:

1- It lets the input buffers grow without bounds. That means the first
time you read one of the very long strings in your example, then the
buffer is large enough not to cons any extra memory.

2- It does not compact strings: the output is always a general string.
ECL takes some extra effort to simplify the string so that it uses
less memory.

3- It has a more compact representation of unicode characters, using less bytes.

4- It open codes the access to ANSI streams.

The 9.12.2 patch for ECL will contain changes for 1 and 2 which
decrease consing, but contrary to what you would expect they do not
change the speed very much.

> (load "iotst")
[...]
writing