[Ecls-list] [asdf-devel] Please test: merged ECL support, created asdf.asd

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 1 16:30:19 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 4:34 PM, Faré <fahree at gmail.com> wrote:
> OK for not supporting too an upgrade of an ASDF that is too old, only
> supporting an upgrade going forward. To me that means that we should
> try very hard to get upgradability (and configurability) right, then
> try to push for a "simultaneous" distribution of the upgradable ASDF
> to all implementations, and then declare future such distributions not
> necessary anymore.

I am willing to help in whatever I can.

> However I'd still like to try one more time to get upgradability
> working for an older ECL, for not only is it a good exercise in
> preparation for the future, in addition to a minor feature -- if we
> can debug it for ECL, that might probably help with other
> implementations, too.

No problem. I will have to dust off the older tarballs, though.

> ECL-specific notes (please follow up only to the ECL list for these
> issues): when I run from the command-line, I get a debugger, but no
> debugging information for the frames above the ASDF invocation. So
> yes, maybe the solution is to re-compile asdf.fas with debugging
> information. How do I do that?

After configuring, you will get a file build/compile.lsp with a text that says

;;;
;;; * ASDF
;;;
#+WANTS-ASDF
(build-module "asdf"
              '("ext:asdf;asdf.lisp"
                "ext:asdf;asdf-ecl.lisp")
              :dir "build:ext;"
              :prefix "EXT"
              :builtin #+:BUILTIN-ASDF t #-:BUILTIN-ASDF nil)

You can add proclamations before that. I should probably add them to
the code itself.

Another possibility for better debuggability is to use the original sources:

$ ecl