[Ecls-list] Compilation on solaris

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 21 21:46:39 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 10:36 PM, Juan Jose
Garcia-Ripoll<juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 9:30 PM, Christian Lynbech<christian at defun.dk> wrote:
>> I have tried to compile ECL on sparc solaris and ran into some
>> troubles. I unfortunately do not have the precise solaris version at
>> hand but can get hold of it if need be.
>
> Did you use the mandated flag --enable-slow-config ?

I have been perusing the manual,
http://ecls.sourceforge.net/new-manual/pr01s06.html and the option
--enable-slow-config is perhaps not marked strongly enough.

The reason for that flag is that Solaris allows building code with 64
bits or 32 bits data and pointers. That is too much flexibility and it
normally happens that GMP chooses values which are not the default for
GCC. When supplied --enable-slow-config, ECL first configures the GMP
library and then rebuilds itself using the flags it chose.

If you want to speed up the build process, then you will have to pass
values for ABI, CFLAGS and LDFLAGS which are correct for the word size
you need.

I do not know whether that will solve your problem. I am building ECL
on the ultrasparc3 from the Sage project. Support for Solaris is an
important object for ECL, so please do not feel sour if we do not get
it straight away -- it is a difficult platform, but I am determined to
solve al problems regarding it.