[Ecls-list] Invalid octet sequence -> SIMPLE-ERROR

Matthew Mondor mm_lists at pulsar-zone.net
Sun Aug 16 01:44:47 UTC 2009

On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 08:21:50 +0200
"Tobias C. Rittweiler" <tcr at freebits.de> wrote:

> Matthew Mondor writes:
>
> > After modifying my code to use the argument ECL expects the buffering is
> > fine for socket I/O, although I noticed that I/O to slime/swank console
> > still uses a syscall per character (I didn't look into why yet).
>
> Notice that the Slime streams are in fact gray streams
> (swank-gray.lisp); perhaps that plays a role here.

After noticing in swank-ecl.lisp:

(defun make-socket-io-stream (socket)
  (sb-bsd-sockets:socket-make-stream socket
                                     :output t
                                     :input t
                                     :element-type 'base-char))

And seeing via a code audit that the ECL implementation unlike SBCL's
expected :buffering-type with a nil default (no buffering), the stream
is obviously non-buffered...  But I have a patch to make
contrib/socket.lisp more compatible to sb-bsd-sockets in this reguard
(which uses :buffering key with a default of :full).  I'll try to
submit it via the sourceforge bug tracking system soon.

Thanks,
--
Matt