[Ecls-list] Solaris SPARC issues (from latest CVS) - using Sun compiler.

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 1 21:29:34 UTC 2009

On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 11:16 PM, Dr. David
Kirkby<david.kirkby at onetel.net> wrote:
> Do you actually need a working Fortran compiler? If not, why check for
> one? If you do, how do I specify what one to use?

ECL builds other components that are not under our control.
Specifically, the GMP library and the Boehm-Weiser garbage collector.
Some of the things you report are related to them, not to ECL. This is
one.

> 1) There are lots of warnings about llegal option -d=gnu99

This annoys me but without this flag the Solaris header refuse to
build ECL. Apparently they want C99, XOPEN_SOURCE, etc. gnu99 is
needed to ensure C99.

> 2) One warning about the illegal option -x

Again, one of the libraries.

> 3) Several warnings about the source code.

Library once more.

> 4) Finally, things go wrong, as it can't find gmp.h
> So it would appear to need a bit of work on Solaris SPARC if the Sun
> compiler is used. (I did not have any better luck with the GNU compiler
> either, but I'll stick that in another email.)

I am not able to build GMP on the fulvia cluster, which is running
Solaris/Intel. I presume I am seeing the same problems as you do and
that they are caused by the Sun compiler. I have downloaded version
4.3.1 and it does not solve the problems. Again, as I said, this is a
library we use, not part of ECL. If problems at some point become
unsolvable one might think talking about these issues with the GMP
developers.