[Ecls-list] [Maxima] segmentation fault with Maxima/ECL

Geo Carncross geocar at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 01:42:58 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 6:37 PM, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll
<juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 1:13 PM, Geo Carncross <geocar at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> SBCL reports stack exhaustion without trying to automatically growing it.
>>
>> This is the mode I liked best as well.
>>
>> I'd be happy to write a unix implementation, but I don't believe
>> Windows has a sigaltstack() that works.
>
> I would be more than happy if we could detect C stack overflows at
> least on the posix platforms, which is 90% of the useful set, so if
> you know how to code it, please do it! :-)

Attached.

Also available at:

http://geocar.googlepages.com/ecl-catch-stack-overflow.patch

Note, this (obviously) doesn't work with --enable-gengc but that's
because bohem uses SIGSEGV for its own purposes.

The smoke test:

$ ecl
ECL (Embeddable Common-Lisp) 8.9.0 (CVS 2008-06-19 17:09)
Copyright (C) 1984 Taiichi Yuasa and Masami Hagiya
Copyright (C) 1993 Giuseppe Attardi
Copyright (C) 2000 Juan J. Garcia-Ripoll
ECL is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see file 'Copyright' for details.
Type :h for Help.  Top level.
> (defun go-boom () (go-boom) 1)
GO-BOOM
> (go-boom)
#<a STACK-OVERFLOW>
Broken at SI:BYTECODES.No restarts available.
Broken at GO-BOOM.