[Ecls-list] CVS build error

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 16 21:31:34 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 9:25 PM, Karsten Poeck <karsten.poeck at gmail.com> wrote:
> In article <871vzl7mdh.fsf at freebits.de>,
>  "Tobias C. Rittweiler" <tcr at freebits.de>
>  wrote:
>> It seems like deleting the build/ directory, and doing the ./configure
>> && make cycle, fixed this. I think the state of the build/ directory got
>> screwed somehow; am I supposed to delete each time I want to build ECL?
>
> Don't know what Juanjo thinks but in my experience it is definitely a
> good idea to always delete build/ after a cvs up

The configuration process does something funny, which is to build file
that are then processed by the makefile. This two-stage process
sometimes leaves a tree in an unstable situation in which the previous
rules no longer are enough to build ECL if the CVS code changed
enough. In the simplest cases this may be cured by doing
./config.status; make clean but sometimes this is not enough. Help is
welcome to improve the configuration / build process :-)

Instituto de Física Fundamental
CSIC, Serrano, 113, Madrid 28040 (Spain)