[Ecls-list] Patch: FTYPE proclamations with DEFTYPE'd types.

Gabriel Dos Reis gdr at integrable-solutions.net
Sat Sep 13 15:20:55 UTC 2008

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 2:24 AM, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll
<juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 2:23 AM, Gabriel Dos Reis
> <gdr at integrable-solutions.net> wrote:
>>
>> I just updated my tree to see if this fixed a problem I've been
>> seeing in OpenAxiom where ECL seems unable to correctly
>> propagate  some proclamations involving DEFTYPEs.
>> So far, it seems no.
>
> That bug had not been reported. Could  you provide a bit more information?

Sure; I was trying to reduce it to a simple testcase, but I have not succeeded
so far.  Prior to this patch, the compiler would just die/disappear with
exit status 0, which made tracking the bug a bit interesting.  I was able
to track it down to coming from the type propagator.

After this patch, it now errors with a message

  The built-in class (#<The BUILT-IN-CLASS T>) cannot be instantiated

Now that the compiler is not disappearing anymore, I'll try to reduce
failing construct; assuming I'm not too distracted by (what remains of)
hurricane Ike.

>> However, I realize that ECL reports 8.9.0 as version, when previousl
>> it said 0.9l.  I was under the impression that you did not want to
>> release 1.0 before the compiler is stable.  How should I interpret
>> the new version?
>
> As what was explained in this message
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=c159f9ab0809070951u6c976859w567b5371d8b43564%40mail.gmail.com
> which is that I am not to maintain two separate numbers: soname and version
> number. Hence the version number now becomes the library number and
> viceversa, and the version number becomes date-related.
>
> I also sent an email to the mailing list explaining the change, seems it did
> not get to you, so I copy the content again

Thanks, not I get it.

-- Gaby