[Ecls-list] ECL on iPhone

Red Daly reddaly at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 08:59:11 UTC 2008

ECLispers,

I am trying to cross-compile ECL to work on the iPhone, which uses an ARM v6
architecture, little endian.

I have successfully built and tested ECL, with all the default features
enabled, for my Darwin i686 Intel Mac.  I can use it within the iPhone
Simulator (which does not simulate the architecture).. pretty cool

However, the hard part is getting ECL to cross-compile correctly for an ARM
processor.  I have run into bugs with fenv.h

Here is my ./configure command with tons of arguments to work correctly for
the iPhone.  (I have inserted some line spaces to make it readable

./configure
  --prefix=/Users/red/lib/iphoneos-ecl/
  --host=arm-apple-darwin
  --without-gmp

CC=/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/usr/bin/arm-apple-darwin9-gcc-4.0.1
  CFLAGS="-arch armv6 -pipe -std=c99 -miphoneos-version-min=2.0 -gdwarf-2
-I/Library/iPhone/include -isysroot
/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS2.0.sdk"
   CPP=/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/usr/bin/cpp
AR=/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/usr/bin/ar

When I run configure, it accurately predicts trouble with fenv.h:
configure: WARNING: fenv.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: fenv.h:     check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: fenv.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: fenv.h:     section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
configure: WARNING: fenv.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING: fenv.h: in the future, the compiler will take precedence

the offending section in fenv.h is:
/*  We require VFP for this set of interfaces to work  */
#if !defined(__VFP_FP__) || defined(__SOFTFP__)
    #error  This fenv header and set of APIs is intended for the ARM (with
VFP) architecture only.
#endif

Unfortunately I don't know what VFP_FP means.  I am guessing that I am not
including some necessary headers, but I don't know what they are.

As you can see, I am compiling without support for GMP.  When I enable it, I
get the following error during configure:

checking compiler
/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/usr/bin/arm-apple-darwin9-gcc-4.0.1
-fPIC -fno-common -arch armv6 -pipe -std=c99 -Wno-trigraphs -fpascal-strings
-fasm-blocks -O0 -Wreturn-type -Wunused-variable -fmessage-length=0
-fvisibility=hidden -miphoneos-version-min=2.0 -gdwarf-2 -mthumb
-miphoneos-version-min=2.0 -I/Library/iPhone/include -isysroot
/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS2.0.sdk -fPIC
-fno-common  ... no, long long reliability test 1
configure: error: could not find a working compiler, see config.log for
details

I would appreciate any help you can give regarding these two issues.

Red