[Ecls-list] ext:run-program always waits

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 16 06:24:46 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 11:33 PM, Andie Kirkpatrick
<spacebat at ubermonkey.net> wrote:
> However the original example from the mailing list doesn't work (I've
> changed the path to cat and added the :wait argument):

Hi Andie, :wait does not mean wait for the program to start, it rather
means wait for the program to terminate. If you use :wait then you
cannot write or read from the program streams, because it will be dead
and the stream will contain no data.

> Also in some cases I get segmentation violations, for example when
> trying to run any of the examples here:
>
> http://ecls.sourceforge.net/new-manual/re11.html

With CVS I do not get segmentation violations, but I did not get them
either with 0.9l It may well be that you need to rebuild _all_ of ECL
after you added the symbol. Alternatively, move to CVS. I am now
trying to keep the CVS tree stable by doing all development on an
unstable GIT tree, separate from that one.