[Ecls-list] Line Number of errors ?

Tobias C. Rittweiler tcr at freebits.de
Tue Oct 14 07:58:31 UTC 2008

"Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll" writes:

> I am not 100% sure what I can impose on the user. Writing to a
> separate file is ok for ECL because it knows where it is going to
> place things, but I do not think ordinary lisp users are going to
> enjoy having documentation files around.

If the location is customizable by the user, and he has to enable it
explicitly in his customization file, it's entirely his choice.

> I have solved "a)" by placing my own registration handler in help.lsp
> Have a look at it: it does the same as expand-set-documentation, but
> includes variables, constants and other objects, and it also stores
> the argument list in the documentation. Furthermore, it now includes
> all ECL functions, also those which could be considered internal.

I'll look at it.

> As a solution for "b)" I am pondering the addition of a C string that
> keeps the documentation of all functions, variables and other objects
> in the file. It requires a bit more work, but it would be more space
> efficient and require no other files. Would you like to work on this?

Could you expand on this, please? You mean a string in a specific,
external file? Or in the FASL file? One string for everything? So
retrieving information means text munging?

As semester just begun, I don't think I'll have time over the next
months. But I think the issue should still be talked about, so others
may want to join in, or so that it can be pointed to in future.

  -T.