[Ecls-list] CVS server mess, again

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 4 21:55:36 UTC 2008

On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 10:46 PM, Erik Huelsmann <ehuels at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure you want my advice, but: If you want a stable development
> platform which allows anonymous access, stay away from CVS: it's very
> hard to guarantee CVS access for anonymous users.

I do not understand the reason behind your statements. CVS has worked
nicely for the last years. The only problems we have had, and which
pop every now and then, are not CVS related. Instead, they are
problems with the servers: mirror to the anonymous servers breaks
down, servers get offline, they are moved, there are changes in the
addresses, I lose SSH access because of stupid firewalls and IP
blocking... All in all, this is a deficiency of all the platforms ECL
has been hosted on. I doubt svn or git help on that respect, which is
why we have now four different mirrors.