[Ecls-list] CVS server mess, again

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 1 13:38:40 UTC 2008

I noticed last night that none of the mirrors were working, the web
pages were not up to date, etc, etc. There has been a sum of many
different problems, such as my main server being blacklisted by my
ISP, Sourceforge suddenly changing the address of shell services and
forbidding ordinary ssh access, the CVS repository has been locked...

I must admit that I am a bit fed up with the fact that it seems
impossible to have a robust web and project server that does not
involve hacking things every now and then... And moreover to force you
all to update every now and then without knowing whether the update
will be effective or not.

This has forced me to take another emergency measure. From now on,
development switches to GIT. Workflow will be as follows:
- I code.
- I commit to my own git tree.
- Changes are pushed to the git repositories at sourceforge and dreamhost.
- Changes are mirrored into CVS and 15 minutes later get propagated to
anonymous repository by SF.

Each step may fail, but since I do this manually for every commit I
will notice when things go wrong.