[Ecls-list] uninitialized ihs_frame object in call to ecl_cs_check

Gabriel Dos Reis gdr at integrable-solutions.net
Thu Nov 6 09:25:00 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 4:02 AM, Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr at cs.tamu.edu> wrote:
> Hi Juanjo,
>
>  I was investigating some obscure `segmentation fault' (on MAC OS) or
> `stack over flow' (on x86) bug in a ECL-based OpenAxiom build, when I
> got prompted to look into src/c/interpreter.d:ecl_interpret().  It looks
> to me that given:
>
>        struct ecl_stack_frame frame_aux;
>        volatile struct ihs_frame ihs;
>
>        ecl_cs_check(ihs);
>
> the object `ihs' is never initialized before call to ecl_cs_check.
> That looks to me like a serious bug.

Upon reading further the code, no, that is not a serious bug.

But, I'm still puzzled by this curious bug (which I think Waldek
also alluded to at some point in the past).
If I build OpenAxiom with debug=3, then the bug disappears.
If I set debug=2 or less, I can reproduce it.  If I trace some specific
functions, I can no longer reproduce the bug for some cases.
And the crash happen only when executing a THROW at the
nearly end of an ECL-based OpenAxiom seession.

-- Gaby