[Ecls-list] Strange error

Waldek Hebisch hebisch at math.uni.wroc.pl
Sat May 31 17:10:40 UTC 2008

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll wrote:
> On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 3:54 AM, Waldek Hebisch
> <hebisch at math.uni.wroc.pl> wrote:
> > One guess is that compared to Gentoo address space randomization
> > in Fedora may be causing extra fragmentation of address space
> > and consequently allocation failure due to lack of continuous block?
>
> Is your Gentoo using a pre-installed version of the Boehm-Weiser
> garbage collector. I have noticed that Debian and other distributions
> have begun shipping the version 7.0, while ECL uses 6.9. Perhaps it
> would be worth upgrading to this new release.
>
> Juanjo

All of Gentoo, Debian and Fedora use included Boehm-Weiser garbage
collector.  From config log:

configure: Configuring included Boehm GC library:
checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking target system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking GC version numbers... major=6 minor=8

So, it seem to be version 6.8.

AFAICS Fedora problem is triggered by security measures: when
I did (as a root):

echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/randomize_va_space

echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield

then build went fine.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch