[Ecls-list] Strange error

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Sat May 31 08:23:15 UTC 2008

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 3:54 AM, Waldek Hebisch
<hebisch at math.uni.wroc.pl> wrote:
> I must admit that I was somewat surprised to see how large
> process size may get -- I am loading a lot of fasls (1090 in
> final stage), but on disk they take about 70 Mb.

I suspect that this is related to the problems I experienced by
removing the garbage collection phase from cl_load(). There is a weird
interaction between the garbage collector and the dynamic linker going
on. Or maybe the gabage collector is not aggressive enough when using
the incremental algorithm.

> Another thing is why I am getting segfault -- I would expect ECL
> to detect failing allocation and react more gracefully.

The problem is that the garbage collector is using this signal itself
to detect dirty pages. We cannot trap those signals if you use
--enable-gengc.