[Ecls-list] Name of init function.

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Fri May 30 23:00:00 UTC 2008

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 12:42 AM, Waldek Hebisch
<hebisch at math.uni.wroc.pl> wrote:
> You mean standard Lisp hash function?  This does not look like
> good choice.  Namely, such hash function is used to implement
> hash tables and hash tables still work even if there is a lot
> of collisions.  But for init function we need unique names...

The fact that the hash function we use is used for table lookups does
not mean it is bad. The implementation is here:
http://burtleburtle.net/bob/hash/doobs.html It has both a 32 bits and
64 bits variant. Now, that means one collision in every 2^32 cases or
2^64. If you add the build time, that should decrease the probability.

You are rate on your comment that the time resolution was not good
enough. I just checked the code and there was a typo: the hashing of
strings left out some characters at the end. Since the  compiler was
using namestrings, not pathnames, that meant a lot of information was
lost.