[Ecls-list] Load and filenames.

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Fri May 30 17:12:22 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 7:09 PM, Waldek Hebisch
<hebisch at math.uni.wroc.pl> wrote:
> Presumably ECL can decide if a file is Lisp source or not.  If it
> is not a Lisp source than it is a fasl or invalid file.  I would
> think that 'dlopen' (or equivalent) can report to ECL errors
> due to loading of invalid binaries.

Unfortunately, this is not true. We cannot rely on in the dynamic
linker to detect whether a file is binary or not. This caused serious
problems in some ports, some time ago. Instead of returning -1 and
failing, the linker would bother the user with error messages about
corrupt binaries, and so on. I think this happened mainly in the
Windows port, but it is nonetheless too unsafe to rely on that.