[Ecls-list] Status of CVS

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Fri May 30 17:08:02 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 6:57 PM, Waldek Hebisch
<hebisch at math.uni.wroc.pl> wrote:
> BTW: I had problem on Fedora9, Gentoo and Debian (all 64-bit) -- looked
> perfectly reproducible.
>
> BTW2:  The newest version have built OK on Debian when I configured
> it giving '--enable-gengc'.

They write page detection signal has changed since I last investigated
it. Seems that ECL should no longer intercept  SIGSEGV on linux and
other platforms if the generational garbage collector is to be used.

In OS X (Mach) the mechanism for detecting pages that have been
written over is different, which is the reason why I experienced no
problems.

So, summing up, it seems we do have a way to safely activate the
generational garbage collector in all platforms. The code is present
beginning with (CVS 2008-05-30 19:03). However, this will remain an
optional feature, for it does not seem 100% stable in the Linux box I
am now conducting tests. In OS X works like a charm, though.