[Ecls-list] Status of ECL

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Wed May 28 08:50:01 UTC 2008

Still pending to get CVS imported in Sourceforge, there is progress in
my local tree. I have optimized TYPEP and COERCE, at least in the
compiled versions, though the interpreted ones can also benefit if one
wishes so -- the mechanism is based on compiler macros --. In
addition, I discovered bottlenecks in GENSYM, GENTEMP, MAKE-ARRAY and
MAKE-VECTOR, which have been corrected.

Before, runing Paul's testsuite

real time : 572.967 secs
run time  : 396.084 secs
gc count  : 647 times
consed    : 5325200048 bytes

Right now

real time : 476.979 secs
run time  : 268.773 secs
gc count  : 590 times
consed    : 3833384924 bytes

None of the optimizations are usafe: it is just using information
about the known types to produce the simplest type checks and type
coercions possibles. And everything is rather standard Common Lisp, so
I expect it to be robust.