[Ecls-list] progress on Maxima + ECL

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Sat May 24 19:25:12 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 6:47 AM, Robert Dodier <robert.dodier at gmail.com> wrote:
> If someone can verify the stuff above, that would be very helpful.
> If someone can fix the compilation problems, that would be even better.

Hi Robert, that is great news! I have been all day mirroring Maxima's
CVS server using git-cvsimport (Not yet finished!) I will be attending
congresses and traveling for a few weeks, with intermittent internet
access, and will be working on this.

My strategy will probably be to compile one file at a time and check
things are not broken. But first I want to solve two things:

1) The display code has a comment about your fix, saying the change
signals an error in nreconc, rplaca, and similar functions. What makes
you think so? Is there a simple, one line test case that causes the
error to pop up -- probably printing out a long expression, but I
would like to have something concrete to work with.

2) Browsing CVS in SourceForge saw that your last patch is related to
a number of eval-when statements. In your commit message it says that
you remove all invocations of Maxima functions from the eval-when
statements. Do you have any clue why that is needed? How does the
assume mechanism work? Does it store things in symbol properties?