[Ecls-list] Small mistake on web page

Waldek Hebisch hebisch at math.uni.wroc.pl
Sun May 18 19:10:52 UTC 2008

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll wrote:
> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 2:37 PM, Leslie P. Polzer <leslie.polzer at gmx.net> wrote:
> >
> > On http://ecls.sourceforge.net/cvs.html:
> >
> >  # ADDRESS=anonymous at common-lisp.net:/project/ecl/cvsroot
> >  # cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anonymous:$ADDRESS co ecl
> >
> > will hardly work with any POSIX shell
>
> Sorry, I am too much used to bash' oddities. The web page will be
> updated tonight.

Well, what is now is a correct syntax.  Proposed

export ADDRESS=anonymous at common-lisp.net:/project/ecl/cvsroot

is a bash extension.  Apparently Leslie wanted to export the
variable, for which correct syntax is

ADDRESS=anonymous at common-lisp.net:/project/ecl/cvsroot
export ADDRESS

but since the variable is only used in the same shell, there
is no need to export it (in fact, exportin it just means
namespace pollution).

BTW: I use:

cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anonymous:anonymous at common-lisp.net:/project/ecl/cvsroot  co ecl

but since this does not fit into normal 80 character limit splitting
this into two parts (setting variable and using it) is reasonable.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
hebisch at math.uni.wroc.pl