[Ecls-list] alloc.d questions

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Sun May 18 18:08:57 UTC 2008

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 10:58 PM, Vadim Konovalov <vadrer at gmail.com> wrote:
> wouldn't it be useful to add such a function to API?

I take note. Actually, many of the function names and conventions have
to be rethought. There is too much redundancy in some points and many
constructors / accessors missing.

> ok, that's fine.
> so if I do not specify anything during ./configure then BOEHM will be
> activated?

This is the default behavior. The other garbage collector is so old
that it has been outpaced by recent improvements -- finalization,
small conses, etc.

> This part I do not fully understand
>
> first, looking into the
> ./src/gc/doc/gc.man
> file makes me think that there *is* function GC_free

Funny. I had a look at the source code and it _does_ something. Well,
in former editions of the garbage collector it really did nothing,
hence the empty macro for cl_dealloc(). I will update external.h to
call GC_free. I will also remove the size argument and deactivate the
older garbage collector until I can finish it.

The changes should be available tomorrow. The CVS server is
unfortunately broken for the anonymous accounts right now.

Have fun,