[Ecls-list] Changes in Gray streams

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Wed May 7 08:12:26 UTC 2008

Tag: (CVS 2008-05-07 10:04)

- There were missing methods for STREAM-WRITE-CHAR, STREAM-READ-CHAR
and a couple others when applied to built in streams.

- We add a new class ANSI-STREAM which seats between STREAM and all
the built in stream types.

- We add a new function GRAY:REDEFINE-CL-FUNCTIONS which does the following
   * It turns CLOSE, STREAM-ELEMENT-TYPE, {OPEN,INPUT,OUTPUT}-STREAM-P
and STREAMP into generic functions
   * It replaces the symbols GRAY:CLOSE, GRAY:STREAMP, etc,  with the
COMMON-LISP ones
   * It exports those symbols from GRAY

The function REDEFINE-CL-FUNCTIONS will turn ECL into something closer
to what other implementations do, at the expense of making calls to
the above mentioned functions more expensive for your programs, even
when applied to built in stream types.

I still believe that other implementations are broken in that they
impose Gray streams on top of every user, instead of making it
optional in a separate package, but I understand I cannot impose my
views on all users.