[Ecls-list] How to get floating point underflow to yield zero?

Julian Stecklina der_julian at web.de
Sat May 3 16:08:23 UTC 2008

Raymond Toy <toy.raymond at gmail.com> writes:

> I'm pretty sure IEEE 754 says gradual underflow is required, but you are
> explicitly allowed not to signal anything on underflow.   I think most
> Lisps turn this off because underflow is usually harmless and signaling
> on underflow is annoying.

They are only harmless, if you do not care about the result and
correctness of your computation...

Regards,
--
Julian Stecklina

Well, take it from an old hand: the only reason it would be easier to
program in C is that you can't easily express complex problems in C,
so you don't. - Erik Naggum (in comp.lang.lisp)

(Spam-Experiment: http://cthulhu.c3d2.de/~astro/badpit.html )