[Ecls-list] Gray streams

Brian Spilsbury brian.spilsbury at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 04:40:28 UTC 2008

>  Two powerful reasons favor the ordinary functions approach: speed and
>  size of compiled code that invokes these functions and strict adoption
>  of the standard. It will remain so until somebody convinces me that
>  the contrary is better.

It's a fair compromise, but you could make it transparantly selected
by the following method.

If you were to rename the COMMON-LISP package to the ECL-CL package
(or whatever), and then place a COMMON-LISP package which used this,
then you could control what other packages receive when they use
COMMON-LISP:CLOSE (for example), and GRAY:CLOSE could still use
ECL-CL:CLOSE for its default case.

I suspect that that might involve changing a lot of strings, though. :)

A cheaper option for the implementor is for the user to shadowing
import gray:close, etc into each package which wants to use it.

Regards,
Brian.