[Ecls-list] EclGui sample of embedding ecl

Dustin Long dlong at progmatism.com
Mon Jun 9 23:23:49 UTC 2008

Hi All,

I released this a few days ago but forgot to notify the mailing list. My
project, previously known as 'vbecl', now called 'EclGui', has been fixed up
to work with newer changes to ECL. The location has changed as well:
http://www.progmatism.com/hacks/eclgui/index.php

It serves as a useful introduction on embedding ECL, and demonstrates
solutions to a number of beginner problems:
Getting started with ECL
Using si_safe_eval to safely evaluation code
How to read sexprs without the risk of crashing on bad input
Using callbacks and gray streams to better integrate with the host system

The writeup is fairly short, it just introduces the project then does a
quick trip through some of the more interesting parts of the code. I've
purposefully left out some more advanced techniques in order to limit scope
(for example, catching errors and reporting their messages). If anyone feels
so inclined, please have a look and tell me if there's anything wrong, any
part that's unclear, or any additional information that should appear.

Thanks to all those who helped out with pointers and proposed changes last
time!

Dustin