[Ecls-list] Slow prettyprinting (update)

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jan 29 08:52:42 UTC 2008

On Jan 29, 2008 4:28 AM, Waldek Hebisch <hebisch at math.uni.wroc.pl> wrote:
> BTW: I also noticed that ECL has substantial startup time, it
> seems that cl_read_object_with_delimiter has non-trivial part
> in the startup time.

This is the only thing I can answer trivially. When loading ECL, it
has to build up a lot of constants and other perishable data. Since
ECL stores this data in text format (*.data files created when a file
is compiled), the reader must be used to reconstruct the data.

BTW, could you send me privately a tarball with the sources and test
program you used for profiling? The profile logs as well, to compare
with the ones I may produce on my imac. That would save me quite some
time.