[Ecls-list] Slow prettyprinting

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Jan 5 16:49:38 UTC 2008

On Jan 5, 2008 5:10 PM, Waldek Hebisch <hebisch at math.uni.wroc.pl> wrote:
> Conversion of one selected file without
> prettyprinting (more precisely, with printing using *print-pretty
> set to nil) takes 0.221s and conses 14715352 bytes, with prettyprintig
> conversion takes 10.372s and conses 618534296 bytes.  Lisp compilation
> of resulting file take 4.110s.  So at this stage of build
> prettyprintig is the bottleneck.

Understood. Well, the problem is that ECL is using SBCL's code to
pretty-print. While this code might be optimally compiled in SBCL, I
am unsure about the quality of the code generated by ECL for this
particular file. I guess this has a lot to do with the fact that this
code is based on CLOS and Gray streams and that method calls in ECL
are not very efficient.

> BTW: is there a way to profile ECL compiled programs?  I found the
> problem thanks to the information gathered using sbcl, but
> this is unlikely to work for other bottlenecks.

Not right now. There is some portable code out there to do profiling
of lisp functions http://www.cliki.net/profiler