[Ecls-list] About name collisions

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Feb 1 08:10:21 UTC 2008

On Feb 1, 2008 2:10 AM, William Robinson <airbaggins at gmail.com> wrote:
> My instinct would be to use a hash (md5, or something simpler) of the
> system-name, module-path and filename.

The thing is that I doubt this prevents name collisions, only on an
statistical level we may feel safe. But using hash keys does not allow
us to give the user a guideline under which he may use ECL safely.

If we use timestamps we can impose the following:
i) Files built on his/her machine will be consistent.
ii) Files built on different machines but also on different dates will, as well.

He would not be allowed to:
i) Use different machines to build the same FASL or library.

But maybe I am wrong and an MD5 of the pathname would be enough. It
just does not feel deterministic enough.