[Ecls-list] Strange things with packages

David Creelman creelman.david at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 03:44:23 UTC 2008

Hi,
I'm working on a utility called cl-remind (git://github.com/kreely/cl-reminders.git)
and I'm having a problem with a package using another package.

my package defs look something like the following :-

;dates.asd
(defpackages :dates
	(:use :cl :asdf :debug)
	(:export :..... various stuff
	  :num->date :date->num))

(asdf:defsystem :dates
        :version "0.9"
	:components ((:file "date-calcs")))

;reminders.asd
(defpackage :reminders
	(:use :cl :dates :debug)
	(:export :rem-text :print-reminders :check-reminder))

(asdf:defsystem :reminders
        :version "0.9"
	:depends-on (:dates :debug)
	:components ( (:file "reminder-calcs")))

However, when I load up reminders via (require 'reminders), I can't see
any of the date exports.

In SBCL I can. Is this something non-standard that SBCL does to help that
ECL is a bit more strict about ?

If anyone is interested in seeing this happen, simply git pull on the
above url and from within ECL, do (load "remindme").

I thought that a package that had a :use clause caused those :used exports
to be available to the package (kind of like importing I guess) and to anyone
else using the package that did the import.

If I've misunderstood packages in lisp or ECL, please feel free to point me in
the right direction.

Cheers
David