[Ecls-list] ecl on Solaris/sparc?

Raymond Toy toy.raymond at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 03:09:24 UTC 2008

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 2:51 AM, Raymond Toy <toy.raymond at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I was wrong; leaving off ABI=32 doesn't work.  For some reason, the config
>> wants to use -Wc,-m64, which gcc (3.4.3) doesn't like. [...]
>> Also, I think I found out what the problem was with sparc-mach-dep.o issue.
>>  I was using gcc 3.4.3 that comes with Solaris 10, which also uses binutils.
>>  But I rebuilt using my own build of gcc 3.4.3 that uses Sun as and Sun ld.
>>

> Since Michael did not have those problems, do you think we can produce
> a minimal set of instructions that people can follow for building with
> Solaris? I would gladly add them to the manual
> http://ecls.sourceforge.net/new-manual/pr01s06.html#preface.osdep

I think the instructions are fine, and apply to Solaris 8 as well.  The
only thing I might add is that you might want to say ABI=32 should work.

I also know that on Solaris 10 with /usr/sfw/bin/gcc does not work.
Without ABI, it fails because somehow the compiler flags chosen include
something bogus like %LDFLAG%.  (Don't have the exact message right now;
it's at work.)  And ABI=32 doesn't work because of the sparc-mach-dep.o
issue.  I'm trying to do my own build of gcc 3.4.3 (same version as
supplied by Sun), but using Sun as/ld instead of binutils.  I'll let you
know how that goes.

Ray