[Ecls-list] configure and make dependencies

Daniel Herring dherring at tentpost.com
Fri Aug 29 02:58:49 UTC 2008

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 5:01 AM, Daniel Herring <dherring at tentpost.com> wrote:
>>> cd ecl
>>> mkdir build-linux
>>> cd build-linux
>>> ../configure --prefix=...
>>> make
>>
>> Unfortunately ecl (and from your description probably xemacs and clisp)
>> try to specify the build dir from within the configure script...  ECL
>> currently bombs on VPATH builds like above.
>
> I doubt what you say about "bombing", because I am using that all the
> time: that is how I build four different ECLs using the same source
> tree for http://ecls.sf.net/logs.html

My bad.

Here's what I saw:
> cd ecl
> ls
ANNOUNCEMENT  Copyright  LGPL  Makefile.in  README.1st  configure  contrib
examples  msvc  src
> mkdir build
> cd build
> ../configure
Creating directory `build'
Switching to directory `build' to continue configuration.
../configure: line 37: <path>/ecl/build/src/configure: No such file or directory

Now that I read the top-level configure script, its obvious why that
fails.  Why do we have the top-level configure script?

- Daniel