[Ecls-list] configure and make dependencies

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 28 19:51:11 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 1:48 PM, Raymond Toy <toy.raymond at gmail.com> wrote:
> Daniel Herring wrote:
>> All's not well.  Most ecl makefiles are generated by automake (which
>> automates dependency tracking), but these ones aren't.  Would someone like
>> help with a conversion?
>>
> I can help a bit.  I'm not really familiar with ecl, though.

I am a bit puzzled. What does automake add, beyond yet another
software dependency? ECL only has three makefiles ecl/Makefile,
ecl/build/Makefile (generated from ecl/src/Makefile) and
ecl/c/Makefile. But the first one is just a wrapper around
ecl/build/Makefile and the third one can be merged into the second
one.

I agree that a _lot_ of cleanup is due, but given the rules that ECL
uses are very much specific, using custom substitutions and bootstrap
processes, the automake file would probably end up being larger than a
portable Makefile.

Instituto de Física Fundamental
CSIC, Serrano, 113, Madrid 28040 (Spain)