[Ecls-list] success, was: broken local installation of ecl

Robert Dodier robert.dodier at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 05:13:09 UTC 2008

On 8/26/08, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll
<juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 5:42 AM, Robert Dodier <robert.dodier at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > I was able to get ECL to run without LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
>  >
>  > LDFLAGS=-Wl,-rpath=/tmp/ecl-foo/lib ./configure --prefix=/tmp/ecl-foo
>  > make; make install

> This is the recommended way to tell an executable how to locate its
>  libraries if you do not want to mess around with the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>  environment variable, nor with /etc/ld.config, etc

Looking more closely at the GCC command line which is constructed
by the ECL compiler, it turns out the problem is that the library path
was specified as -L/tmp/ecl-foo/lib/ecl instead of -L/tmp/ecl-foo/lib .
When I tried the original GCC command (copy & paste to the bash
prompt) it failed. But if I changed -L, it succeeded.

I erased my ecl installation and did a clean rebuild and install
(with prefix=/tmp/ecl-foo as before). Now GCC command has
-L/tmp/ecl-foo/lib as expected and compiling Maxima seems to
proceed normally. So that's good news.

One thing that puzzles me is that I found some relevant source
code in ecl/src/cmp/cmpmain.lsp and ecl/src/cmp/cmpdefs.lsp.
I tried to inspect the special variables which are defined in
cmpdefs.lsp, e.g. *LD-FORMAT*, but apparently the :compiler
package is not present and I didn't find those compiler specials
in other packages. Is there some way to inspect the compiler
specials? (and call functions such as ECL-LIBRARY-DIRECTORY?)

Thanks for your help,

Robert Dodier