[Ecls-list] configure and make dependencies

Raymond Toy toy.raymond at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 00:40:42 UTC 2008

While playing around with ecl on sparc, I ran into some small issues.

First, configure wants to create the directory build and then configure
there.  Could this be extended so that I can configure in any
directory?  Then I can have just one source tree and many build-foo
directories.  XEmacs supports this.  Clisp's configure basically does
what ecl's configure does, but allows the user to name the directory.

Second, the makefile dependencies are kind of lacking.  I added a hack
to ecl/src/h/ecl.h.  But doing make in build doesn't recompile
anything.  So then I changed build/ecl/ecl.h.  Still nothing gets
rebuilt.  Ok.  I removed build/libeclmin.a.  Make again.  Nothing gets
built.  Ok.  Remove c/print.o and c/numbers.o.  Finally, the things I
want to rebuild actually do get rebuilt.  Yay!

Is that the way it's supposed to work?  I know it's kind of hard to get
all the dependencies right, but it sure is nice when it works.

Ray