[Ecls-list] simple starts for newbies...

Teunis Peters teunis at wintersgift.com
Wed Aug 27 06:25:31 UTC 2008

I'm trying to figure out how to install CFFI - and its dependant on
"alexandria" (and babel and trivial-features)

platform: ubuntu linux
ecl - ubuntu (20080306 version) with unicode, threads, gmp, long doubles
and c99complex.
architecture: intel pentium-M

I'm very familiar with the platform and C (mostly) but am recovering
practice in Lisp - I haven't worked much with it in a few years now and
all my documentation was circa 1980s *wry grin*.  ECL is about the first
lisp engine I've seen that seems to do what I need out of Lisp...

So I'm sort of stuck here - although I'm going to continue studying this.
(I'm working on hooks into 'dbus' and 'gtk+' - without much success at
this point)

starting with alexandria, I build like so:  (no outside requirements,
http://common-lisp.net/project/alexandria/
)
echo "(require 'asdf) (asdf:make-build :alexandria :type :fasl
:monolithic nil)" | ecl

result:
 > Cannot find the external symbol MAKE-BUILD in #<"ASDF" package>.
Broken at EVAL.No restarts available.

try:
echo "(asdf:make-build :alexandria :type :fasl :monolithic nil)" | ecl \
    -load /usr/lib/ecl/asdf.fas

result:
success

I then try something like:
 > (require 'alexandria)
Module error: Don't know how to REQUIRE ALEXANDRIA.
Broken at EVAL.No restarts available.
Broken at EVAL.
 >> (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op 'alexandria)
component "alexandria" not found
Broken at EVAL.No restarts available.

So I try copying the 'fas' files to /usr/lib/ecl - and this result:
echo "(require 'asdf) (require 'alexandria) (require 'trivial-features)
(asdf:make-build :babel :type :fasl :monolithic nil)" | ecl -load
/usr/lib/ecl/asdf.fas

result:
;;; Warning: Redefining class SYSTEM-DEFINITION-ERROR
... (lots more 'Redefining class' notes)
NIL
NIL
; registering #<SYSTEM BABEL 159448352> as BABEL
component #:ALEXANDRIA not found, required by #<ASDF:SYSTEM "babel"
159448352>