[Ecls-list] error signaled by unicode version

Claus Brod claus_brod at cocreate.com
Sun Aug 24 09:11:33 UTC 2008

Anton Vodonosov wrote:
> The following call fails with error "#\  is not of type CHARACTER."
>
>   (make-string 1024 :initial-element #\Space :element-type 'base-char)
>
> Changing 1024 to 1023 or less makes it working.
>
> ECL was build on Windows using mingw; configure parameters:
> --enable-threads=yes --enable-unicode=yes --enable-debug=yes
> --with-sockets --prefix=...
>
> Non unicode version does not have this error.

I tried to reproduce this, but I struggled even with the first step,
which - in my case - was building a Unicode version using Visual C++.

I hacked msvc/Makefile so that it adds -DECL_UNICODE to $(CFLAGS). I'm
almost certain that this is not the right approach, but nevertheless it
seems to produce a version of ECL which claims to have Unicode support
(according to * features *).

I cannot reproduce the problem you're describing, though. (This was on
the current development branch.) But then, maybe my Makefile hack
doesn't really do what I want. Any hints on how to build an msvc/Unicode
version _properly_ most welcome.

 Claus