[Ecls-list] Problems with GMP on Win32

Robin Lee Powell rlpowell at digitalkingdom.org
Fri Aug 1 19:18:28 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 09:14:22PM +0200, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll
wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 9:01 PM, Robin Lee Powell
> <rlpowell at digitalkingdom.org> wrote:
> > I have no idea how to do that; the make structure of ECL is
> > extremely complicated, and I've never built anything significant
> > on Windows before.  I've done a lot of Linux building (I'm a
> > sysadmin for a living), but I wasn't looking to have an
> > adventure here, just get a working CL.  Anyways, like I said,
> > the GMP bits seem to be working after I hacked
> > mpn/x86/x86-defs.m4
>
> Your statements are a bit contradictory. On the one hand you do
> not know how to install libraries with cygwin's setup (execute the
> same setup.exe, select gmp from the list, install), but on the
> other hand you are perfectly capable of hacking GMP's
> autoconfiguration process.

First I had to figure out that Cygwin *had* its own GMP.  :)  You're
right, though, I sent the mail too fast.  My apologies.  I was able
to figure this out with a bit of work.

> Now, if you just want a common lisp that runs in Windows, the
> Microsoft Visual C++ compiler may be a better option, at least
> with ECL, since it builds ECL always (there are less variations),
> it is free, produces executables with better performance and in
> our case it is the only version that is automatically tested on
> our compiler farm (http://ecls.sourceforge.net/logs.html)

Huh.  OK.  I didn't realize MSVC was free.

-Robin

--
Lojban Reason #17: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo
Proud Supporter of the Singularity Institute - http://singinst.org/