[Ecls-list] bug in LOAD

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Apr 27 13:34:39 UTC 2008

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 6:25 AM, Robert Dodier <robert.dodier at gmail.com> wrote:
>  I am working with ECL as built from CVS 2008-04-22,
>  gcc 3.3.2, running on Fedora 1. (Yes, it is ancient. Oh well.)
>
>  I get the following error. Clisp, SBCL, GCL, and CMUCL are all happy with FOO.
>
>  >(defun foo (x) (load (concatenate 'string "/tmp/" x)))
>  FOO
>
>  I wonder what's going on here.
>  Thanks for your help.

You probably have your system compiled with --enable-unicode, which
makes STRING and BASE-STRING different types. Currently, LOAD only
likes BASE-STRING. This is really related to how file names are
constructed and the fact that the OS does not normally allow big
characters in file names, except with some encoding.

I can change this