[Ecls-list] Line Number of errors ?

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Apr 25 07:20:06 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 3:09 AM, Geo Carncross <geocar at gmail.com> wrote:
>  It's something that ECL could use internally to track the location of
>  these things.

Please do not think I am too picky, but I do not want to enlarge the
image size of ECL by default. Keeping track of _all_ structure, types,
functions, etc, and where they are define, it should be responsability
of the development environment and, as such, optional. That, without
having weak hashes to keep the bindings in an economic way, is also a
killer.

>  Setting this up wouldn't be all that difficult if there were an easy
>  way to compare two stack entries
>  from different stacks, so we could tell whether an BDS entry were
>  "deeper" than a IHS. That looks like
>  the job of the FRS, but I haven't looked too closely at this yet.

Indeed, FRS keeps a vector of all jump points or "frames". They are
not function calls, but some functions create blocks and thus they
create also a "frame". It would not be difficult, at debug time to
cons a vector with all the information that Slime needs. Since it is
done at debug time, it is no problem that it conses a bit.

>  it's a bit hard for me to enumerate all the things it doesn't do yet :)

I would say that is also difficult because Slime does not have a well
specified API that the backend should implement. One may learn by
example, looking at other implementation's functions, but that it is
quite some work.

As I said, I can do the work, provided I get a list of functions, with
the parameters they have to get and what they have to output. I hope I
do not sound too tiring, once more, but time is precious.