[Ecls-list] LOAD-TIME-VALUE and literal object externalisation.

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Apr 24 07:26:36 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 3:56 PM, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll
<jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>  So, summing up:
>  1) I have to fix ECL to also externalize hash tables

My brain must have been too dry yesterday. The problem was not with
the hash table. The problem you had was with externalizing a C
compiled function. That is impossible by all means. That function
cannot be dumped in any reasonable binary format by ECL, since it does
not have control over the machine code of your computter nor of the
executable memory region.

>  2) Abitrary functions can not be externalized into compiled files.

As I said, only bytecode functions allow for this. But it is an
extension proprietary by ECL so do not count on it to write portable
code.