[Ecls-list] gc hang after gc stats collection

marc daya marc.daya+ecl at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 06:19:36 UTC 2007

Greetings all,

I've run into a problem that appears to be related to the Boehm-Weiser
garbage collector.  On my (Gentoo) Linux system (gc t) simply hangs
after a (gc-stats t) call.  Without a (gc-stats t) call, repeated
calls to (gc t) seem to work fine (they return control to the REPL),
but the first (gc t) after a (gc-stats t) never comes back...

  ECL (Embeddable Common-Lisp) 0.9i
  Copyright (C) 1984 Taiichi Yuasa and Masami Hagiya
  Copyright (C) 1993 Giuseppe Attardi
  Copyright (C) 2000 Juan J. Garcia-Ripoll
  ECL is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
  under certain conditions; see file 'Copyright' for details.
  Type :h for Help.  Top level.
  > (in-package si)
  #<"SI" package>
  SI> (gc-stats t)
  1
  1
  NIL
  SI> (gc t)

I traced it to this sequence after I found that 'time' appeared to simply hang.

This seems to work just fine on Windows though...  and both the Windows
and the Linux versions have been compiled using the default
Boehm-Weiser setting (included).
Does anyone else see this, or is it possible that its something that
is related to my system?

Regards,
.marc