[Ecls-list] Build Process

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Oct 2 20:03:33 UTC 2007

2007/10/2, John Connors <johnc at yagc.ndo.co.uk>:
> Looking at the ECLS build process it strikes me as being very
> complicated. Would it be worthwhile to attempt to simplify it?

Help is welcome.

> Would it be theoretically possible/worthwhile to detach ECLS from gmp &
> the boehm-gc so that it could build with current versions of these?

But this is already the case. The configuration program detects
whether you have GMP or Boehm-gc installed. Look at ./configure --help

  --enable-boehm          use the Boehm-Weiser garbage collector
                          (no|included|system|auto, default=included)
  --with-system-gmp       use already installed GMP library (default=auto)
  --with-gmp-prefix=path  prefix for system GMP includes and libraries
  --with-gmp-incdir=path  path to system GMP includes (overrides prefix)
  --with-gmp-libdir=path  path to system GMP libraries (overrides prefix)

The rest of the build process is more or less unavoidable: one must
first build ECL and then use it to compile the lisp files. Note that
the compiled files depend on certain platform features, which is the
reason why we cannot distribute precompiled files.