[Ecls-list] interactive rename-file was open :supersede and rename-file advise

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Nov 28 21:46:27 UTC 2007

On Nov 27, 2007 5:10 PM, Geo Carncross <geocar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Included is a new patch to rename-file. This one is interactive and
> helps outline the semantics that I propose be added to open with
> :RENAME-AND-DELETE

This seems like a noncritical fix with interesting functionality, not
only on the rename part, but also for adding continuations. I am
currently abroad, but I would definitely like to incorporate your
patches when I come back and find time for testing. The only thing
remaining is...

> If this patch is accepted, I'd like to then modify OPEN to be
> crashproof when given :IF-EXISTS :RENAME-AND-DELETE by using
> cl_rename_file() to get these same capabilities.

...where to put the improved options to OPEN. I have been reading the
Lisp Machine manual and they did have the :supersede action as
expected: create a new file and only replace the old one at the end
http://common-lisp.net/project/bknr/static/lmman/files.xml#Opening%20and%20Closing%20File%20Streams-section
They also had :truncate, by the way, which is what most
implementations now do with :supersede

So what I would recommend is to use a new keyword option such as
:real-supersede or :delayed-supersede, so that :rename-and-delete can
be still used with the intended functionality (i.e. rename and move to
the Trash) on platforms where this is feasible (Windows, Mac OS X).