[Ecls-list] Rewriting autoconf -> autoconf/automake

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Nov 14 10:35:36 UTC 2007

On Nov 14, 2007 11:13 AM, Erik Huelsmann <ehuels at gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe that's an interesting option if you want to reduce Makefile maintenance?

As far as a I can tell, and Michael should correct me, the biggest
problems arise not just because of Makefiles, but because of other
issues:

* Changes in the GMP library
* Changes also in how the Boehm-Weiser library builds
* Changes in the parameters that Microsoft's tools require
* Symbols which are added or removed from ECL and which have to be
added to the *.def files

These are things which cannot be solved by just having a custom
script, because it contains things which are either out of our control
(other libraries) or things which normally do not form part of the
build process (symbol names).