[Ecls-list] Rewriting autoconf -> autoconf/automake

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Nov 14 09:12:57 UTC 2007

On Nov 14, 2007 1:13 AM, Mark Hoemmen <mark.hoemmen at gmail.com> wrote:
> John Wiegley wrote:
> > Is this of any interest?
>
> I'd be interested if you could make it easier somehow to port ECL to use
> other compilers, by adding a test for what their equivalents of the
> -fPIC and -shared flags are (or whether they are needed at all).

AFAIK, libtool cannot check for the fags. -fPIC, unlike other flags,
is not something that one checks for. One needs to know how the
compiler works in order to choose the right flags, which normally go
beyond that. OTOH, I agree that it would be nice to somehow leverage
the knowledge database that these people have built with time.