[Ecls-list] Kamen Lisp update, questions

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Wed May 9 21:53:23 UTC 2007

Hi Dustin,

I have seen your security model and I quite like it. Would you mind if
I include it in the distribution? Are you ok with the distribution
terms of ECL, etc? I will probably simplify it and make it a
configurable option.

As for your other questions...

> 2) How can I get multiple environments at once? I tried crawling through
> the source but couldn't find an answer. I'd like to be able to do
> something like this:

... This is already done in the multithreaded version. I mean that you
have the possibility of creating environments. The only problem is
that the code for environment creation is currently attached to the
thread creation mechanism. In other words, new environments can only
be created together with the thread that executes them. But it is for
sure possible to factor out the code and make a  better API for
environment creation and environment activation (i.e. attaching an
environment to the current thread).

> 3) I ran into a problem where the Linux machine I use for building ECL
> had a newer version of glibc than another Linux machine I tested it on.
> Consequently, loading libecl.so dynamically failed. Is there a configure
> option I can use that forces compilation with something like a lowest
> common denominator?

This can never be an option. The only thing you can do is choose a
rather standard Linux distribution with a version of glibc which is
commonly used and build ECL with it. You will see similar problems
with other programs, such as Mathematica, Matlab, etc, which only run
on systems with precise versions of glibc.

Regards,